Hello,

2012/2/15 Gary R. Schmidt <g...@mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

> > It is not possible because every Alpha CPU starting from very first
> > 21064 was a 64bit cpu and no 32bit was ever designed. :)
> >
> Yes, the Alpha is 64-bit, but there are a set of compiler flags that
> sort of "switch off" the top 32-bits of each word, and reduce the
> address space of the binary such that it must be loaded in the first 4Gb
> of virtual address space.

I don't understand what do you mean by " ... "switch off" the top 32-bits
of each word ...".

You can't run a 32bit instructions on Alpha because they don't exist. All I
can imagine is a some kind of emulation of different CPU ISA like x86.

> They were used to port a lot of VMS code that had all sorts of silly
> assumptions about various things being the same size, or being less than
> 32-bits away.

Well, all Alpha registers are 64bits, so a compiler was building a code
which cuts all registers to 32bit value?
It should slow down an application by factor of 2 or more....

The original problem was a missing declaration of intptr_t. I don't think
it is related on 32/64 bittness.

Of course, they may have removed these flags since I used them, which
> was back when DEC was still DEC!

Yes, I was working on DEC Alpha and VMS too...

Best regards

--
Radosław Korzeniewski
rados...@korzeniewski.net