Hello list,

I originally had a very long Volume Retention in my Pool definition, I
think it was set to a year. I wanted to make it much smaller, like a month.
I updated the Pool Definition and set it to 30 days, and then in bconsole I
ran update "pool from resource". This command completed successfully,
however it shows VolRetention having a value of 2,592,000, which made me
scratch my head. Then I ran update "All volumes from pool", and this
command completed successfully, returning "All Volume defaults updated from
"Default" Pool record."

Now when I do: list volume

It shows the list of tapes, with VolRetention set to 2,592,000.

When I do: show pools

It shows VolRetention = 1 month

So I scratched my head for awhile more and eventually guessed that there
are 2,592,000 seconds in 30 days.

Now, when I do a: status slots

It still shows most of the tapes as Full, even though they haven't been
used in 30 days. How do I know which tapes are available for use? I thought
the status would change to Append or something. Will it just automagically
start selecting the oldest tapes available?

Thanks,

*Simon Tyler * |  Systems Administrator
TPM Communications  |  416-408-2727  x286

si...@tpmcomm.com