Hello,

2013/8/14 Mark <bacula-l...@nerdish.us>

> Hi Barak,
>
> >> If I can't ever get a full because of unstable links then bacula
> >> is useless in my particular setup.
>
> Out of curiosity, what backup product are you currently using that _does_
> cleanly handle loss of communication between the client and the backup
> server, resuming the next backup at exactly there the previous one failed?

This situation is perfectly handled by Bacula Enterprise with Incomplete
Jobs. It require Accurate Job option.

>  I don't know how many remote sites you're going to be backing up, but if
> it were me and just a few sites, I'd probably deploy a bacula host in each
> site (you don't need a lot of expensive server horsepower to deploy a
> perfectly functional and reliable bacula server).  If your links are
> unstable enough that it's a problem for backups, then imagine when you need
> to do restores and you're having those same circuit stability issues while
> everyone is frantically asking you, "How much longer?!?!".  People don't
> much care if a backup takes 8 hours overnight, but they care *immensely*
> when everything has ground to a halt during a business day and you're
> explaining that the restore will take that same 8+ hours, and may have to
> start over completely because your links are bad.  At restore time, I'd
> much rather be restoring at near wire speed from a local system.

It depend on requirements. Sometimes data is worth more then time to
recover, sometimes in case of disaster you will recover locally, not to the
remote site... etc.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski