Hello Andrew,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Andrew Noonan <anoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>      After wrestling with a Dell TL4000 in the thread marked "Dell
> TL4000 labeling timeout", it looks like the autochanger is going to be
> fine thanks to the efforts of several people, especially Ana, on this
> list.

​Thank you :)​

>      Moving forward, I'm about to start running jobs to at first
> backfill a large dataset (about 250TB), and then do daily backups of
> the dataset.  The dataset itself is tens of millions of small,
> compressed files, so I don't particularly want to back the raw files
> up in bacula, as the database would likely become quite unhappy with
> me, so instead I've got a staging directory where I tar up a
> time-sequence of the files, and then I'll use bacula to back up that
> file, which is named with the time sequence contained inside.  These
> tapes are to be archived offsite indefinitely.

​Are you going to generate a .tar of about 250TB every day? Which will be
the nature of your restores? You´re going to need always the restore of the
whole data set or occasionally you will need to restore a small set of
files?

My questions are this:

> 1)  For the backfill, should I shoot for creating single files about
> 2.5TB in size to completely fill the tapes?

​If you ​occasionally need to restore small set of files, so this is a good
idea. Not having a gigant .tar spanned into lots of tapes. This way you
will need to restore the whole .tar first and then extract the files.

> 2)  If I make a tar larger then a tape's storage capacity (LTO-6),
> will bacula automatically span tapes?

​Yes.​

> 3)  Given the size of the tars, the serial nature of the backup, and
> the dedicated nature of the autochanger (this is its only purpose),
> are there any tuning parameters I can use to speed up the tape writes
> given the giant few files nature of things?

​Yes, there are a few parameters that can be configured to speed up tape
writes and backup jobs. You can take a look on the btape utility (
http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/utility/utility.pdf) for testing
purposes of your autochanger configuration.

> 4)  Is there anything about this that seems like a terrible, terrible idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

​You´re welcome. Regards,
Ana​