> Hello,

> We make a backup product that uses Bacula as the backend. Our systems run
> Ubuntu
> v12.04 (kernel v3.12.17) with Bacula v5.2.12. Our product sets up the job
> resource definitions based on the user's choices, it validates the
> configuration with `bacula-dir -t`, and then it issues the bconsole `reload`
> command to load the new job resource. On a particular customer system, we find
> that the new job resource has not been loaded after the `reload` command has
> completed. If we give the `run` command, the new job is not in the list of
> jobs
> that can be executed. If we restart bacula-dir, then the job resource is
> loaded
> and it can be run. We haven't been able to figure out why `reload` isn't doing
> what we expect, so I hope that you can offer some advice. I have attached the
> Director configuration file from the affected system (bacula-dir.conf) and the
> file where we put the job resource definitions (jobs.conf), which is imported
> by the main configuration file.

> I've found a few relevant points in researching this problem online. The
> bconsole documentation seems to discourage you from using `reload`:

> "While it is possible to reload the Director's configuration on the fly, even
> while jobs are executing, this is a complex operation and not without side
> effects. Accordingly, if you have to reload the Director's configuration while
> Bacula is running, it is advisable to restart the Director at the next
> convenient opportunity."

> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/console/console/Bacula_Console.html

> Indeed, I have found that restarting the Director causes the new job resource
> be loaded, but this is not a good solution for us because we often have many
> Bacula jobs running simultaneously; the "convenient" times when the Director
> could be restarted will be too infrequent.

> I also found a closed bug ticket from a user who describes practically the
> same
> problem:

> http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1573

Hello Rich: is there any message after using the reload command? (message
command)
Can you post the the output of a show jobs after the reload command?
Ps.: Bacula is two major releases ahead and I think this hypothetical bug would
only be fixed if reproduced in 7.2.0 version, but I'm not a developer.

> Thank you in advance for your help.

> Regards,
> Rich Otero
> Director, Technical Support and Professional Services
> EditShare
> rot...@editshare.com
> 617-782-0479

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F | Bacula Systems Certified
Administrator II
Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/
I do Bacula training and deploy in any city of the world. More information:
http://bacula.us/
+55 61 8268-4220
Site: http://bacula.us FB: heitor.faria