Hello,

Here are a few tips for you.

- You absolutely need to understand what Pruning is.  The best way to understand it is to read the manual.

- If you are running MySQL as that catalog and you are having catalog performance issues, you should consider switching to Postgresql.

- Usually performance issues with the catalog are related to several points
   1. You may have added additional indexes.  Doing so sometimes speeds up a particular operation,
       but much more often totally destroys the performance elsewhere.  If you have added any, start by
       removing them.
   2. Every database and particularly Postgresql needs some tuning for your system and your workload.
       Generally the database vendor has programs that will help you find problems.

- If you are running more than 1000 jobs per day, then you clearly need Postgresql and you need it to be properly tuned.  You may also need to turn off automatic pruning and specifically schedule a prune.

- Pruning of a single job should never take an excessive amount of time, but if as noted above you have 1000 jobs, it is not always ideal to do it while backups are running.

- You should *never* be manually (with SQL commands) be changing the Bacula catalog.

- You should almost never need to use a built in command to modify the catalog Media records.  This does not include running prune or purge commands.

- If you are running more than 500 jobs a day, you need to take the Bacula Admin I course.

- If you are running more than 500 jobs and not a Bacula expert, you most likely need a professional service contract.

Best regards,
Kern