On 09/12/16 21:12, Josip Deanovic wrote:

> Good point.
> When did you start to use SSD drives for spooling in your setups?

About 7 years ago (Intel X25E)

> I believe the SSD still suffer from faster wear effect when compared to
> the classic rotational disks although they have improved on that regard
> in last few years.

Thanks to head thrash, I was replacing spool drives every year (7 LTO
drives and hundreds of backups = major thrash) - and in any case the
spool couldn't keep up with the tape drives, despite being a
shortstroked stripe of fast drives.

The Intel drives have written several tens of Petabytes apiece and show
very little sign of wear. I'm only looking to replace them because the
spool isn't large enough (64GB drives * 5 striped) and the raid
controllers they're on can't keep up with the newer LTO6 drives when all
are despooling. (They'll be replaced with P3700 NVMe drives)

Spooling of this nature isn't a job for a domestic-grade SSD and the
extra speed/endurance of the P3700-class drives is worthwhile for this
application despite the extra cost. It does mean that they make up a
large chunk of the cost of the new backup server I'm setting up (2 * 1.6
TB drives == half the cost of the system)

I shifted the database to ssd 2 years ago and got a speedup of about 6
on inserts and dumps (Inserts and dumps completing in  less than 20% of
the previous time). There are definite advantages to using them on
anything which involves short reads.