Yes, I understand that. But for such setup like recycling the same tape
every night, and if the backup takes several hours to complete, the hours
calculation is pretty important.

On 2 Jan 2017 17:32, "Radosław Korzeniewski" <rados...@korzeniewski.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have always calculated my volume retention period based on its last
> written date, and time. This means when I want to plan for a new
> configuration, I will consider how long it takes for the backup to complete
> - say if it takes 2 hours to complete and I need a retention period of 1
> day, I will minus the 2 hours so it'll become 22h, though normally I'll
> minus a couple of more hours just to be safe.
>
> From the manual:
> Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Recycle and the InChanger flag
> is set true (if there is more than one, the Volume with the oldest date
> last written is chosen. If two have the same date then the one with the
> lowest MediaId is chosen).
>
> Does the time count? Or bacula just look at the date and count it from
> 0000 hours?

Yes it does bu you should read documentation about recycling. When Bacula
cannot find a backup ready volume (volstatus = Append or Recycle/Purge)
then it perform a recycle procedure.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski