On 09/01/17 14:47, Charles wrote:

> Hello bacula-users :-)
>
> Are any tools available to mend Bacula after almost certainly spurious
> errors reported by a tape autoloader?
>
> Within a few minutes of Bacula starting to use an autoloader which had
> been subject to an abrupt power outage, the autoloader reported a
> critical tape alert.  Bacula shows the tape wth status Error (simply
> reflecting what the autoloader has told it?).

Are you sure it was the loader which had the critical error?

Most "critical errors" of this kind are bacula attempting to unload a
locked drive

(Lesson: issue explicit unlocking commands in your startup sequence)

Or they're an attempt to unload a tape from a drive where the loader has
lost track of what slot it came from.

(Lesson: issue explicit drive unload commands in your startup sequence.)

Yes, they're errors, but not really critical in the overall scheme of
things even if the loader thinks they are.

If you have multipath fibre/SAS/scsi to the drives, then bear in mind
that locks are logically ORed together.

ie: If you lock drive Z  from controller N and bacula starts using the
path from controller P, unlock commands from bacula will come from
controller X and the drive will remain locked.

This caught us out for a long time. I eventually wrote a small shell
script which worked out what the paths were to any given drive and
issued unlock commands for ALL of them. This was grafted into a
localised MTX-changer script.

The overall lesson is simple: "Make sure your drives are empty, BEFORE
(re)starting bacula-sd"

Other than that: update volume={tapelabel} volstatus=append

(Or "used" if you simply want to put the tape in a safe)