Okay, on the one system that I upgraded to 9.0.3 I also upgraded the
database engine to mariadb 12.2.8.  Was still getting the error.  I then
went back to the July email and saw that they removed the
STRICT_TRANS_TABLES
<https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-mode.html#sqlmode_strict_trans_tables>
from the sql_modes.  I remove this and yes it does work now.

What will this affect on the whole of Bacula though?  Will this cause
problems down the road?

thanks,

Jerry

Now on to the other system, half way to a weekend :)