Kern - thanks. Perhaps foolishly I didn't try any "one file test" jobs; my comfort level with installing bacula on this distro with these tape drives has become second-nature to the point that I didn't feel the need (so I got bit), and of course with the weekend, trying to get it running to have time to attend to other chores. To be honest, I don't recall ever having looked at the catalog tables until after jobs.

Cheers,
Ted.