On 02/19/2018 10:18 AM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> In the pools definition I have "#Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" and in
> bacula-sd.conf I have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20". I also have "Maximum
> Concurrent Jobs = 20" in bacula-dir.conf. What else do I need to check? I
> know you presented a list of files below, but I'm confused about this. I have
> autochangers commented out.

Hi Mike, well I would say refer to my previous message along with this one for
a better full picture.

In that message I determined that we were stuck at a "Waiting on storage"
limit for a "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" (MCJ) setting, so we will focus on that
here.

I also explained that in order to run a virtual full, one device will need to
be used for reading the backed up data, and one device will be needed to write
the data for the virtual full to another volume(s).

If you have commented all Autochanger resources from your configurations, then
I think the problem is clear. :)  That is, you probably have a virtual full
waiting for a write device to become available, and it never will since it is
being used for reading. ;)

The easiest way to get this going is to start by setting up an Autochanger
resource in the Director's bacula-dir.conf file. There is an example one (or
two I think) in there that you can copy and modify following my comments below:

First, give it a nice name like "AutoChanger0" for example. :)

This new Autochanger's "Address =" should point to the FQDN or IP of the SD,
and its "Device =" should point to the name of an Autochanger resource in the
SD's bacula-sd.conf that we will create next.

The MediaType is an arbitrary string, but must be unique per Autochanger, and
the MediaType specified in this Director's Autochanger resource must match the
MediaType of the Devices in the SD's Autochanger shown below.

Make sure to set a MCJ > 1 in here too

Then, edit the bacula-sd.conf file and first make sure that the main MCJ for
the SD is > 1:
----8<----
Storage {
  Name = YourBaculaSDName-sd
  SDPort = 9103
  WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
  Pid Directory = /var/run
  MaximumConcurrentJobs = 20      # <---- Set to a number > 1
}
----8<----

Then copy one of the example Autochanger resource configurations and modify it
to match what we have set up in the bacula-dir.conf file earlier:

Still part of bacula-sd.conf:
----8<----
Autochanger {
  #  This name must match the "Device =" in Director's AutoChanger above
  Name = AutoChanger0

  # Minimum of two Drives in this Autochanger, see below...
  Device = AutoChanger0_drive0, AutoChanger0_drive1

  # Required settings...
  ChangerDevice  = /dev/null
  ChangerCommand = /dev/null
}
----8<----

Still in the bacula-sd.conf file, you now need to define these two drive
devices in this SD's Autochanger. Note that both drives point to the same path
for the "ArchiveDevice":
----8<----
Device {
  Name = AutoChanger0_drive0
  DriveIndex = 0
  Autochanger = yes
  MediaType = ExampleMediaType            # Must match the MediaType we set
  ArchiveDevice = /path/to/file/volumes   # in the Director's Autochanger
  LabelMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  AlwaysOpen = no
  MaximumConcurrentJobs = 5  # Can be 1, but I allow concurrent jobs
}

Device {
  Name = AutoChanger0_drive1
  DriveIndex = 1
  Autochanger = yes
  MediaType = ExampleMediaType            # Must match the MediaType we set
  ArchiveDevice = /path/to/file/volumes   # in the Director's Autochanger
  LabelMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  AlwaysOpen = no
  MaximumConcurrentJobs = 5  # Can be 1, but I allow concurrent jobs
}
----8<----

Final things:

Another important note: You can set the DIR and SD MediaTypes and the SD's
ArchiveDevices to whatever your current Drive device in your SD is configured
as. No need to reinvent anything, and by doing this, your new Autochanger will
immediately be able to read/write to any of your previous volumes.

You will also want to modify your Job(s) to now use the Director's new
Autochanger as their "Storage ="  setting...

Then you will need to restart the SD, and reload the Director's config to get
these new resources working.

Once you have some Fulls and Incremental backups running to this new virtual
Autochanger, and you can also do some restores from it, then it is time to
take on the Virtual Full jobs again. :)

I think I covered everything. Anyone see anything missing here?  Just jump in
if you do. :)

Best regards,

Bill

--