On Monday 2018-03-05 14:38:07 Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 03/05/2018 02:27 PM, Josip Deanovic wrote:
> > On Monday 2018-03-05 14:16:34 Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> >> That's not an error if a security op's workstation is also a backup
> >> client.
> >
> > Yes, and I would like to know if that was the case.
>
> I tend to have a blanket iptables rule allowing local subnet traffic.
> Our security nazis live in a separate subnet so their scans get blocked
> by that. If I were running portscans from inside my netblock I expect
> I'd get the same log entries. That's anther other option for it being
> legit.

I have additional backup interfaces and completely separated backup
network where no other two backup clients can see or reach each other.

Where there is no additional network card available there is a VLAN.

But all of that is not important here.
What is important is the case where if you can reach bacula services
you could potentially break backup jobs and thus effectively produce
a bacula denial of service.

If I understood correctly that's what happened to Shawn.

--
Josip Deanovic