OK, in the process of writing out the details of my connection problem for this
list, I solved my problem, but I thought I'd document it here.

The problem was that all of a sudden my backups started failing with a
Warning: bsock.c:107 Could not connect to Storage daemon on
odin.cs.csubak.edu:9103. ERR=Connection refused

After going through everything I could think of (passwords match, is the daemon
running, etc.) I thought of everything else on the system I've changed
recently.  It turns out that in the process of setting up a monitoring daemon
on that server, I had modified the hosts file to assign the normal hostname to
localhost.  This is not an uncommon setting, but it seems to break bacula.  It
means that when you try to connect to port 9103 on hostname, the connection is
now going to go to 127.0.0.1.

And it seems that the storage daemon isn't listening on the localhost
interface.  This is a configuration directive, but the comments in the default
config file, on Debian at least, say "Do not use localhost here."  So I didn't.

Is there any reason why this should not be localhost?  Do the file daemons
connect directly to the storage daemon, or are the mediated through the
director?  I was under the impression that since the only passwords the file
daemons have is that of the director that there would be no direct connection
to storage.  From a security standpoint, I could see advantages for keeping the
storage daemon limited to localhost, but obviously not if it needs direct
access to file daemons.

So does it?

Steve Garcia
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.