On 05/07/18 17:48, Steve Garcia wrote:
> Honestly, it looks like the kind of website that would appeal to a marketer,
> but not to a techie.  When I run into this sort of site, I start wondering if
> there's any substance to it -- if I already know something about the tool,
> I'll probably start poking around to see if there's anything useful there,
> but if I don't, I'll probably get discouraged and go somewhere else.  I
> suppose if you need a page to send your boss to, this might be OK, but it's
> certainly not something that would build my confidence.
>
> And yes, this does bring the project's site *down* the the current
> "standards", mostly designed by consultants who are all about brochures and
> "branding" and other buzzwords.

I think you possibly judge it a bit too harshly.  It does look much more
professional, and that's important for convincing the guys in the front
office who make the purchasing decisions.  You know,the ones who get
taken to lunch once a month by the Microsoft account rep, the Oracle rep
the next day, the IBM Tivoli guy the day after that...

But hey, look half a page down and there's changelog highlights *right
on the front page*.

My first impression is it's clean, effective, but not overdone.  Sure,
some of the shiny is technically *unnecessary*; but the truth is it
doesn't *hurt*, and if you have the habit of avoiding any site that
looks a bit shiny, you're not going to find much that you can sell the
front-office guys on.  These are the realities of selling to business.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications