Title: myEMAILsignature

Yes, I find systemd rather non-satisfactory.  One thing is if there is no error printed, it usually means everything went well.  A "service bacula-dir status" should tell you if it is running or not.  Otherwise service bacula-dir start output gives you two commands to use to get more detailed information.  The one I use most often is

journalctl -xe

Best regards,

Kern