Hi Arne,

> There appars to be some conflation of lsscsi and lspci here
>
> lsscsi will show attached SCSI targets
Agree

> From the lsscsi -g output, it is showing two arrays, a tape drive, and
> a library changer, when the library is removed, it is expected that
> both the tape drive and the library will no longer show.
Precisely what I observed on Friday and something new I learned on Friday.
Before then, I assumed it was the HBA card :(

> To see if the HBA is detected, lspci is the command to run.
Its always detected, even when I know it wouldn't work.  So the detection alone
isn't a full proof test.

>The lspci command cannot tell you if a card will or will not work with
> a tape library, only if the card is detected, and what driver it is
> using. lspci -v might be more useful than -nn

Ah, that is definitely helpful and seem to provide a better way to evaluate
support.  Thanks a lot.  For anyone else who may have the same issue, this is
what I found based on  Arne suggestion.  Look out for this line.  "Kernel
driver in use"

(I have yet to plug the tape storage system as they are in different location,
but will update if it works once the HBA is delivered.  I am a bit far
confident though)

Supported:
[root@eng-backup01 ~]# sdiff -sb pci_device_no_storage__card2-2.txt
pci_device_dell_storage__card2-23.txt
        I/O behind bridge: None                               |         I/O
behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff [size=4K]
        Memory behind bridge: None                            |         Memory
behind bridge: d4000000-d4ffffff [size=16M]

                                                              > 42:00.0 Serial
Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios

Subsystem: Dell 12Gbps HBA
                                                              >         Flags:
bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 96, NU
                                                              >         I/O
ports at dc00 [size=256]
                                                              >         Memory
at d4ff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=6
                                                              >         Memory
at d4e00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1

Expansion ROM at d4000000 [disabled] [size=1M]

Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 6

Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=96 Masked-

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [1e0] #19

Capabilities: [1c0] Power Budgeting <?>

Capabilities: [190] #16

Capabilities: [150] Single Root I/O Virtualization (S

Capabilities: [148] Alternative Routing-ID Interpreta
                                                              >         Kernel
driver in use: mpt3sas
                                                              >         Kernel
modules: mpt3sas

None supported:
[root@eng-backup01 ~]# sdiff -sb pci_device_no_storage__card2-2.txt
pci_device_atto_card2-2.txt
        Memory behind bridge: None                            |         Memory
behind bridge: d4000000-d4ffffff [size=16M]

                                                              > 42:00.0 Serial
Attached SCSI controller: ATTO Technology, Inc

Subsystem: ATTO Technology, Inc. ExpressSAS H680
                                                              >         Flags:
bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 15, NU
                                                              >         Memory
at d4fc0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=6
                                                              >         Memory
at d4fd0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=6
                                                              >         Memory
at d4fe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=6
                                                              >         Memory
at d4ff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=6

Expansion ROM at d4000000 [disabled] [size=1M]

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable-

Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [ac] MSI-X: Enable- Count=16 Masked-

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
[root@eng-backup01 ~]#

Regards,
William