In most circumstances it will be saved at the point the backup starts.  That is
If the file is not there at the start then it will not be in the backup
If you started editing a file after the backup starts the backup will contain
your original (unedited file).
If you are writing a file when the backup starts you will have a partial file
in the backup (probably not too much use)

There are some options to avoid this default actions, like avoiding snapshots
or avoiding VSS for Windows, but in most circumstances the above will be what
you get.

The FileSet resource has a compression=GZIP or LZO options resource which you
could set to compress as you went along.  Compressing the files manually will
increase the manual burden with any restore.  Also you can only really deal
with volumes that bacula considers Full or Used.  There may be other things,
but I don't use anything other than tapes.

Dave M