On 10/8/20 8:45 AM, djosip+n...@linuxpages.net wrote:
> On 2020-10-08 14:24, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>
>> Well, so far, it's only been a few days, so my conclusions are
>> cautious.
>>  But they are cautiously optimistic.  So far, with the Director still
>> using HAproxy to round-robin DB connectins to my MariaDB cluster, I
>> have
>> not seen a single hung job,  But only about a dozen jobs have run so
>> far.
>>
>> On 9.6.5 I would have expected to see one or more hung jobs by now, but
>> I won't feel safe in declaring the problem gone until it's gone at
>> least
>> a couple of weeks without a hung job.
>
> Ah, I didn't get it that you are using MariaDB cluster.
>
> It is quite possible that your problems are not directly related
> to Bacula but to the database cluster setup which means that
> new Bacula version will not solve your problem.

Well, I understand that perspective, but this problem appeared instantly
as soon as I upgraded to 9.6.5, with a DB configuration I've been using
for years without a hiccup.  I could turn the problem on and off like a
lightswitch by updating *ONLY* the Director to 9.6.5 or rolling it back
to 9.6.3, even if connecting directly to the local DB node without using
HAproxy.  9.6.5 Director, even without HAproxy:  About one in three jobs
hang.  9.6.3 Director, even WITH Haproxy: No hangs.

So far, 9.6.6. is behaving like 9.6.3.

> Are you using MariaDB cluster because you need high availability
> or because you want to achieve higher database throughput?

High availability, fundamentally.  I'd honestly prefer to be using
Percona XtraDB Cluster, but there is no working, maintained ebuild for
Gentoo Linux — and enterprise customers ARE going to try to use it
against HA clusters, so we'd better be sure it works.  Which it does, as
long as attribute spooling is disabled (and you're not using Director
9.6.5).

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications