On Friday 2021-06-04 21:40:41 Denis Morejón wrote:
> Hello:
> I have built a bacula 11 successfuly. I am testing saving a few files to
> a file type device, using a little Pool of up to 3 volumes of 100Mb
> each one. I need to see how bacula creates the three volumes
> automatically as I repeat a job some times in order to fill up the
> three volumes. And It happens indeed. The three volumes get full. But
> then, a new job execution remains running for a long time and need to
> be stopped. It seems that the first volume can not be rewriten. Even
> when directive volume retention = 0 is set on the pool. File and Job
> retention = 0 is set on the client resource. What else should I do ? I
> mean, to rewrite the first volume automatically.

Hello!

I think others already mentioned that Bacula will honor retention in
order to prevent you from unintentionally loosing your backup data.

However, what you are trying to achieve can be done like this:

Volume Retention = 12 months
AutoPrune = yes
Maximum Volumes = 3
Recycle = yes
Purge Oldest Volume = yes  # will reuse the oldest volume regardless
                           # the Retention periods

Note that for some changes in the pool to take effect (e.g. pool
retention or volume sizes) you have to use the "update pool" command.
It is not enough to reload Bacula configuration.

Notice that I have used option "Maximum Volumes = 3" which notifies
Bacula that there are total of three volumes and when there are no
available volumes left, Bacula will reuse the oldest one.

I believe that in your case Bacula waited for new volume to appear
like it would with the real tape volume because existing volumes were
protected by retention period and were not yet pruned.

If you chose this path of recycling the oldest volume, note that
there is a potential for an attacker to exploit that approach by
creating a huge data that needs to be backed up, resulting in recycling
of all the volumes thus rendering backup useless.

These days number and proficiency of ransomware attacks increases every
year and this shouldn't be taken lightly.

Regards!

--
Josip Deanovic