> Hello,
Hello Kern,

> As originator of Bacula (and still the highest in the gitstats list of
> contributors), my personal vote is for Ubuntu.
We really appreciate that. A life dedication is the human greatest sacrifice.
Thank you.
> That said,
> I would be very happy to run Bacula on any version of Debian -- the Bacula
> packagers for Debian work closely with the Bacula project -- I would be a lot
> happier if they would learn to install it in /opt/bacula instead of spreading
> it all over the filesystem though.
This will probably never happen due to the FHS rules pointed by Sven. I even
spoke with him about that topic in the past.
*Maybe* with a very special agreement with the Debian Community such as the one
they made with RedHat (I heard of, couldn't find it) to make a few things
standard (such as the systemd services).
> In light of the wide spread attacks of ransomware, it is even more important
> ensure that restoration of Bacula is simple and easy. There is a lot of info
> on
> ransomeware on bacula.org.
I've ever heard or read about a Linux system affected by ransomware, only FUD.
Ref.:
<https://www.statista.com/statistics/701020/major-operating-systems-targeted-by-ransomware/>

Bacula is one of the top worldwide backup systems that runs on Linux. Running
the Director and SD as the Linux bacula user is a builtin ransomware protection
feature. IMHO bacula.org should advertise that and advise all users to only
provide disk volumes write permissions to the bacula user.
IMHO 2, the state-of-the-art will be when Bacula automatically set the closed
volumes (used, full, readonly, archive, disabled) as immutable (chattr +i).
Then, not even the root user could encrypt the disk volumes.

> There is no need you should have to pay for a Bacula Windows client either
> today
> or any time in the future. Bacula Systems will ensure that the community
> Bacula
> runs on the most popular operating systems (Windows client, MacOS, FreeBSD,
> Solaris, even Oracle, ...)
Regards,

> Best regards,
> Kern

> On 7/8/21 9:47 PM, Thing wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Which OS you choose depends on which one is best suited to your
>> application(s),
>> I just work on that then try and make the ancillary apps fit. If Bacula does
>> not, use a different backup product.

>> Centos7 is effectively approaching end of life as Redhat kills it off to make
>> you pay, so I wouldnt suggest that OS or say Stream for this reason. Windows
>> 2012 R2 is also end of life so best to migrate that to 2019? and you might
>> need
>> to pay for a Bacula Windows client? (you did in the past) You need to look at
>> this as as Bacula or indeed any application advances 2012 will be left
>> behind.

>> Your problem will be what version of Bacula will work across all of these.
>> In my
>> case I ended up with Bacula on Debian as that was the bulk of my OSes and
>> then
>> had to port Bacula client Centos7 to a compatible version, it was a total
>> nightmare I never got a client for Mac OS to work.

>> regards

>> Steven

>> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 at 17:20, Marc Ferrand < [ mailto:marcferr...@gmail.com |
>> marcferr...@gmail.com ] > wrote:

>>> If you had a choice, on which system would you install bacula and why ?
>>> These are OSes I'm familiar with in order or preference :
>>> lint Mint (20, fork of Ubuntu/Debian), CentOS 7 (free version of RHEL),
>>> Windows
>>> 10 (Desktop), DragonFly BSD (fork of freeBSD), Windows Server 2012 R2.
>>> Any advice or suggestion is welcome, thanks in advance, Marc.

MSc Heitor Faria (Miami/USA)
Bacula LATAM CEO

mobile1: + 1 909 655-8971
mobile2: + 55 61 98268-4220