Hi Radoslaw,

Thanks, please see my comments in-line

Regards,
Yateen

From: Radosław Korzeniewski <rados...@korzeniewski.net>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 4:36 PM
To: Shaligram Bhagat, Yateen (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)
<yateen.shaligram_bha...@nokia.com>
Cc: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fileset override in Schedule resource

Hello,

pt., 12 lis 2021 o 03:39 Shaligram Bhagat, Yateen (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)
<yateen.shaligram_bha...@nokia.com<mailto:yateen.shaligram_bha...@nokia.com>>
napisał(a):
Hi Radoslaw,

Thanks.
Well, that is what I thought.

But my requirement is different.
There are hundreds of clients and I want to create yearly archives (at present
for past years and  later for future years too)  for each of them.

What do you mean "yearly archives"? Is it a backup job? A cloned/migrated job
to the other storage? Something else?

Yateen : We have hundreds of lab Linux servers (let’s say 200), each getting
The data generated in the past years is no longer required usually, but may be
needed just in case.  We call this data as archive data and want to have job
that will run for each past year data and create an yearly archive (aone time
activity). So instead of creating 200 servers X 5 years = 1000 jobs, I want to
minimize the number of jobs. I intend to do so by creating only 200 archive
jobs, with variable fileset mechanism. I think this is what you have suggested
too.

This will create a job inventory that will run into thousand.

What is a "job inventory"? I never heard of it in Bacula.
Bacula has no problem handling hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Yateen : As explained above, Job inventory means number of Jobs configured. I
know that, Bacula has no limit on handling hundreds of them, but as an admin I
intend to keep the list as minimum as possible by having some creativity.

The simplest way could be to create one single archive job for each client and
run it with a fileset defined for each year.

How is your filesets for this feature defined?
Why do you need to change filesets? It is so strange.

Yateen : Explained above.

I wonder why there is no fileset override for  a job in the schedule resource,
when there are so many other overrides provided.
This requirement may be an enhancement candidate ??

Let's assume you have a two totally distinct fileset resources, i.e.

Fileset {
  Name = FS1
  Include {
    File = /home
  }
}

Fileset {
  Name = FS2
  Include {
    Plugin = "qemu: vm=vm1"
  }
}

and every other day in the Schedule for Incremental level backup you switch
between them back and forth.
What is your expected result in this case, when you select the most recent
backup to restore?
The above question is to understand the requirements.

Yateen : I am planning to do something similar.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
rados...@korzeniewski.net<mailto:rados...@korzeniewski.net>