From: Josh Fisher <jfis...@jaybus.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 11:15 PM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Distributed Bacula daemons

On 12/21/21 07:19, Heitor Faria wrote:
Hello Yateen,
We need to host bacula-dir, bacula-sd and PostgreSQL on different servers, what
is an efficient architecture amongst the two options given below:

A.    Hosting bacula-dir and PostgreSQL together on one host, bacula-sd on
another host

B.    Hosting bacula-dir on one host, bacula-sd and PostgreSQL together on
another host
IMHO one should only spam machines if required by the sizing
(https://www.bacula.lat/bacula-sizing/?lang=en), or for network optimization
(e.g. a SD closer to the FDs in a remote network). A SD is sufficient to backup
about 400 machines.
Other than that you will use more resources and have a larger surface of
possible vulnrerabilities (the oposite of the hardening technique). But again,
it is just my opinion.
If you still need to make this splti I would go for option "A. Hosting
bacula-dir and PostgreSQL together on one host, bacula-sd on another host",
because it will be more pratical to manage the database creation and
configuration, one less network service and a little bit safer. Director and DB
also require different types of machines resources.

I question why there would ever be a reason to put the catalog DB on a
different host that bacula-dir. The sizing document linked to suggests 1
bacula-dir+DB server host for up to 5,000 machines. Also, if you use debs /
rpms, then database updates are automated at upgrade time. Splitting the
catalog DB from bacula-dir is extra work and extra (considerable) network
traffic for no gain (that I can think of).

Thanks,
Regards,
Yateen Bhagat
--