On 2022-01-26 11:59 AM, Peter Milesson via Bacula-users wrote:

I'm having a RAID5 array of about 40TB in size. A separate RAID controller card handles the disks. I'm planning to use the normal ext4 file system. It's standard and well known, most probably not the fastest though. That will not have any great impact, as there is a 4TB NVMe SSD drive, which takes the odd of the slow physical disk performance.

Yeah, we gave up on hardware RAID controllers long ago, but YMMV.

As for SSDs, if you spool the jobs you can run them in parallel to spool->volume stream. You'd have to look at the numbers for your setup but generally despooling off the SSD over the bus runs just fine while clients are spooling to it over the network.

Dima