> Hello fellow users,

Hello Justin,

> I will only use disk storage and S3 buckets, I do not own any tape drives.
>
> There are up to 10 FDs (Linux and macOS), one of the SDs runs on the same
> machine as the Director and the SD which is going to write to the disks and to
> the S3 bucket(s). The remote S3 bucket will also be implemented by myself
> using
> minIO.

Bacula can work with minIO, but you don't need. Bacula S3 Driver can write to
any S3 compatible cloud.

> The Linux FD running on the same host as the Dir and SD is going to have jobs
> for:
> -onsite SMB shares for Synology servers in a DMZ, so that I do not need to run
> an FD in the DMZ which would need to reach into my LAN.
> -diverse non-Bacula backups form diverse systems, such as ESXi ghettoVCB,
> macOS
> TimeMachine, onsite minIO S3 buckets used by Synology DSM HyperBackup

GhetoVCB is a very well-intentioned, but extremely poor solution to perform
VSphere VM backups in terms of performance and features. If you want a 100%
open source solution, I would migrate to Proxmox.

> Each backup job is intended to create 3 redundant “copies” (not meaning the
> Copy
> concept of Bacula) for safety reasons:
> - Tier 1 (fastest): 1 to n  internal SATA hard disk drives (ideally no manual
> intervention when individual disks 1,.., n-1 fill up)
> - Tier 2 (medium speed): 1 to m  external USB hard disk drives (ideally no
> manual intervention when individual disks 1,.., n-1 fill up)
> - Tier 3 (slowest): 1 or more offsite S3 buckets implemented using minIO
> Docker
> container on Synology DSM

I would use one Cloud Storage with the CacheRetention directive for tiers 1 and
3. External USB (ew!) can be a Bacula Copy Job or a completely different
redundant Job with its own Full and partials chain (e.g. Job1-cloud; Job1-usb).

> As I have the luxury of more than 1 drive per tier, I would like to
> understand,
> if it is possible to define a pool on top of more than one disk device (e.g.
> using AutoChanger with disk devices instead of tape devices?), so that first
> one device is used and if it is full, further volumes are automatically
> written
> to the next disk device (without the need for manual intervention).

As for disks, I would just use LVM or any sort of RAID to present Bacula. More
practical.

Rgds.
--
MSc Heitor Faria (Miami/USA)