Well there are many other parameters not mentioned yet and based on my
individual risk assessment I ranked the solutions and made a cut-off.
Something that is security-wise absolutely terrible is Discord, yet it carries
so many OSS support groups that the benefit was worth the security risks.

If you want suggestions or opinions: I would suggest Matrix.org for the Bacula
support groups (best client so far: Element.io <http://element.io/>). Security
is very configurable, and one may participate without any personal information
(e.g. just a fake email address) and one may use an own matrix home server or
go via a VPN/Proxy/Tor to connect. Since there are no central servers needed it
is way harder to control by governments (as you know: some countries like
Russia do require commercial chat services to provide government access
interfaces). The UX is similar to other modern chats like Discord, Mattermost,
Slack. Many OSS support groups are already on Matrix.

Just my 2 cents