On 4/6/22 10:24, Matthew Weatherford wrote:

Hi Bacula gurus,

We are loving using Bacula on Debian 11 - have been long time users.
Thank you to all who are supporting this great code base

Using Debian 11, Bacula version 9.6.7-3, and the Oracle SL150 tape
loader with both SAS and Fiber channel tape drives (2 of each)

  From time to time we reconfigure the tape loader and it makes the
device names move around for the tape and the autochanger devices.

Note that "ordinary reboots" of the linux machine without loader changes
doesnt change the nst and sg device paths

In Bacula's /etc/bacula/sd.conf,  we are using device names such as:

Device {

    Archive Device = /dev/nst4
   Changer Device = /dev/sg5

Device { # top loader
    Archive Device = /dev/nst1
   Changer Device = /dev/sg9

Device {
    Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   Changer Device = /dev/sg7

Device {
    Archive Device = /dev/nst2
   Changer Device = /dev/sg6

Device {
    Archive Device = /dev/nst3
   Changer Device = /dev/sg8

Apologies if this is more of a Debian Linux question than a Bacula
question - but if we change these device names from /dev/nstX and /dev/sgX

to the devices in /dev/tape/by-id  that symlink to these originals -
will that protect us from the remapping of device paths after loader
changes ?

Specific example:

Hello Matthew,

We have been recommending the use of the /dev/tape/by-id device nodes
(symlinks) for some time now for just this reason.

As long as the changes you are making in the library do not affect those uuids (pretty sure they cannot be modified), you should be OK.

But, if the order in which these devices appear to the Kernel changes, it can still affect the "DriveIndex" settings in your devices, which will need to be addressed.

I wrote a script a while back that determines which drive is which Bacula Device "DriveIndex" and prints a summary at the end to help you re-configure your Devices (if necessary).

It might be useful to run it after making these library changes to detect DriveIndex changes, or to confirm that nothing has changed. :)

I need to review it and I will send it to you if you like.

Best regards,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski