Hi mates,

My purpose is the following one.

As I run backup of different customers :

- For better isolating them for managing permissions properly

- For separating quota usage

- For using more little databases

- And because it's done this way some time ago for several reasons (some
of them I can't really know now)

we are using different catalogues for our customers.

Now, when a catalogue goes out of appendable volumes that backup tasks
stop awaiting for that new or appendable volumes. Someone (to which I'm
very thankful for it's advises) with a big knowlegde about Bacula
recommended, me to append tapes to Scratch pool and to use this pool as
the recycle pool too. This way when new volumes are needed can be taken
from the scratch pool. By the way, you can too recycle volumes to
scratch pool, so that if a backup's total size dicreases that previously
(but not now) needed tapes will end up in the scratch and you could
always optimize the space for backups, because you know that tapes in
the scratch can be removable.

The problem here, is that we where thinking that the scratch pool, was a
common pool in a director. So that any catalogue needing new volumes,
could fetch them from there. By the way, if some other catalogues have
excess of volumes, could become "thinner" because they could leave there
those unneded volumes, so that another catalog who really is needing
them, could then fetch. I was thinking in the scratch pool as a way of
harmonize the server's catalogues disk usage (the usage of the volumes
obviously).

But I have had a bad surprise, when I have seen I couldn't do this,
because Bacula, just uses tape knowledge inside the same catalog and the
Scratch pool, even when being a special pool, it has the tapes
registered in database and for each catalog.

This is my real problem. In the doc, you didn't see in any place, that
things are not as you think. It's trusth too, that you don't see the
opposite too...

Cheers,