From: Bill Arlofski via Bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 2:37 PM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring files from S3 problem
[External Email]

On 6/16/22 12:28, Anderson, Craig via Bacula-users wrote:
> I’m attempting to do a restore of all backed up files.  The backups are
> located in an S3 bucket.  I tried to do the restore
> both with and without the bootstrap file generated when the full backup was
> taken.
>
> In both cases, the restore failed with:
>
> Read open Cloud device "S3CloudDevice" (/var/backups-bacula/S3_cache) Volume
> "Vol-0001" failed: ERR=cloud_dev.c:1433 Could
> not open(/var/backups-bacula/S3_cache/Vol-0001/part.1,OPEN_READ_ONLY,0640):
> ERR=No such file or directory
>
> That directory is the archive directory, but it is empty because I am
> simulating restoring onto a new system.
>
> Should I manually copy the Vol-0001 directory from S3?  Or is there a way to
> get Bacula to get the files from S3?
>
> Thank you.

Hello Craig...

At a bare minimum during this simulation you will need the volume's part.1
file. This is basically just the Bacula label and
is about 150 or so bytes.

So, create a directory tree:

/var/backups-bacula/S3_cache/Vol-0001

Then copy part.1 into this directory, then set the ownership and permissions so
the 'bacula' user can read/write, to that
Vol-0001 directory and the part.1 file.

If you have all the proper configurations for the SD, then the rest of the
cloud volume parts will be automatically
downloaded  during the restore.

Bacula needs to see this "label" volume before anything will work.

Hope this helps,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski