On 7/13/22 10:32, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
I am backing up to the cloud for the first time and see some unexpected (or at least undesired) behaviour.

Unfortunately it's hard to fine useful info on Cloud backups details...

I'm not sure if truncation occurs after each part is uploaded, at the end of all uploads or the end of the job.

IME it doesn't happen at all, unless forced.
I had to add a "Client Run After Job" entry in my catalog backup job, calling a script that does:
echo "cloud prune AllFromPool Pool=Full" | bconsole
echo "cloud prune AllFromPool Pool=Diff" | bconsole
echo "cloud prune AllFromPool Pool=Inc" | bconsole
echo "cloud prune AllFromPool Pool=Cat" | bconsole

There are probably better ways to do this, but it works for me.
Of course, see "prune" vs "truncate".

This causing me a problem with large backups since enough local cache space must be available of size equal roughly to the data set size, in my case data is 1TB but available cache is 800G. When it runs out of cache the job errors and must be cancelled.

I'm afraid you'll have to split that backup in two (or more) jobs.

 bye
        av.