Dear Bill,

In message <3a4154cc-8c44-6d18-17b5-c5a91450e...@protonmail.com> you wrote:

> > I would like to reuse a specific volume before it's expiration date.
> > What I do so far is that I purge the volume, then use btape to
> > rewrite the label and this remove the data.

> Simply by purging the volume, all Job and File records related to
> it are pruned from the catalog database with no concern for
> retention periods, and the volume will become eligible for Bacula
> to re-use it. There is no need to do all the extra steps you have
> done.

This was my expectation, too, but apparently this is not the case.
As long as the tape has not expired, it will not be reused by
Bacula.  When I change the status from "purged" to "append", Bacula
will happyly use the tape - and append to the end of the existing
data.

> Matter of fact, in normal situations, once Bacula labels a volume,
> there is never a time when you need to manually erase and relable
> it.

Probably meddling with the expiration period is not considered to be
a normal situation ;-)

> If Bacula is not using this volume straight away, it may just be
> that other volumes are available in your environment.

No. The situation came up when a backup job was hanging waiting for
appendable data, and I didn'd have physical access to swap tapes.
So I decided to overwrite the oldest volume in the library - but
simply purging it did *not* work.

> Can you tell us more about this volume, the pool it is in, other
> eligible volumes, and the Job?

There was nothing special about this volume or job; all tapes in
this library were the same media, same pool, and all other paramters
same, too.

Note that I am talking about volumes on tape here!  I can see that
this works fine for disk volumes used for backing up the catalog.

The only difference between these that I can see is that the disk
volumes have recycle=1 set, while the tape volumes have recycle=0 .

Does this make the difference?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr. 5, 82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: w...@denx.de
GUIs  are  virtually  useless.  Learn  tools.  They're  configurable,
scriptable, automatable, cron-able, interoperable, etc. We don't need
no brain-dead winslurping monolithic claptrap.
                               -- Tom Christiansen in 371140df@csnews