Yes, with directory permissions execute means access, read means you can list files in the directory.  So read doesn't work without execute.

On 2022-10-22 06:36, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
My user is a member of the tape group but gets permission denied error ls'ing the directory. The directory is 740 and the files within 640. I thought that should work but obviously there's something I'm not understanding correctly about how nix permissions work. Not a bacula question really i know.

It appears I need at least 750 or +x on the directory.

Chris

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022, 11:58 pm Bill Arlofski, <w...@protonmail.com> wrote:

    On 10/20/22 16:15, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Thanks for digging this out of the sources, I don't know Bacula
    well enough to have done that. It seems a wierd choice to
    > hardcode that. I compiled from source as it's on Raspian64 so I
    could patch and rebuild as you suggest. There may be more to
    > it than the files you found. Not sure about the cron trick as it
    would be asynchronous to backups possibly creating races.

    > Do you think this qualifies as a bug or just an annoyance?
    Probably the latter as it doesn't affect as designed functionality.

    It was a design choice for sure. No one besides the bacula-sd
    daemon, running as bacula should really have access to your
    backup volumes.

    Another work around for your issue could be to add the user(s) who
    need to read these volumes to the 'tape' group.  This is
    the more *nix way I would say, and it avoids any possible race
    conditions you described.

    Finally, if chmod'ing is an OK option but only if no backup jobs
    are running, y
    ou can create a Bacula Admin job that runs a
    script that does this. Just set the Admin job's priority to a
    lower priority (higher number) than your backup jobs and it
    will run when all backup jobs have finished.

    Hope this helps!
    Bill

    --
    Bill Arlofski