On Mon, 11 Sept 2023 at 20:19, Dan Langille <d...@langille.org> wrote:

> Yes, I think it's SSL erroring out, I agree with your theory.
>
> Which means: what Key Usage needs to be included for each of:
>
> * bacula-fd
> * bacula-sd
> * bacula-dir
>
> Thank you for sharing your details.  Is this cert used with bacula-sd or
> bacula-fd?

That was a certificate from bacula-fd. bacula-sd certificate has the same
extensions (Key Usage: Digital Signature, Non Repudiation, Key
Encipherment, Data Encipherment). Its CN matches the value of SDAddress in
the `Storage` section of bacula-sd.conf file. For completeness, the TLS
related entries in that file are:
TLS Enable = yes
TLS Require = no
TLS Verify Peer = yes
TLS CA Certificate = <path to CA cert>
TLS Certificate = <path to the sd certificate>
TLS Key = <path to the key file>

> I ask because yesterday I started running some copy jobs. The cert used by
> bacula-sd was acceptable for receiving backups. It was not acceptable for
> copy jobs.
>
> 09-Sep 10:19 bacula-sd-04 JobId 358322: Error: openssl.c:68 Connect
> failure: ERR=error:1417C086:SSL
> routines:tls_process_client_certificate:certificate verify failed
> 09-Sep 10:19 bacula-sd-04 JobId 358322: Fatal error: bnet.c:75 TLS
> Negotiation failed.
> 09-Sep 10:19 bacula-sd-04 JobId 358322: Fatal error: TLS negotiation
> failed with FD at "10.55.0.7:27230"
> 09-Sep 10:19 bacula-sd-04 JobId 358322: Fatal error: Incorrect
> authorization key from File daemon at client rejected.
> For help, please see:
> http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/en/problems/Bacula_Frequently_Asked_Que.html
> 09-Sep 10:19 bacula-sd-04 JobId 358322: Security Alert: Unable to
> authenticate File daemon

I wonder if your SD connects to itself here, and fails to validate itself?
The log above does mention an FD at 10.55.0.7. Does that FD component have
a certificate? maybe there's mis-match with the CN of that certificate and
the FDAddress directive in the bacula-fd.conf file?

Misha