Bacula is transferring data at a fraction of the available link speed. I am
backing up an SMB share hosted on a fast NAS appliance. The share is
mounted on the bacula server in /mnt/NAS/sharename. I have dedicated 10gbe
copper interfaces on the NAS and the bacula server.

When backing up the NAS, cifsiostat shows around 250MB/s during the
spooling phase (and 0 kb/s during the despool phase). When using cp to copy
files from the NAS to the Bacula server, I can easily saturate my 10gbe
link (avg throughput around 1GB/s, or a little lower).

I think the problem lies in Bacula because I can copy data much faster
using cp instead of bacula. Obviously bacula is doing a lot more than cp,
so there will be differences. However I would hope for transfer speeds
closer to the available link speed.

top shows that a couple cores are maxed out during the spooling process.
Maybe hashing speed is the limitation here? If so, could multicore hashing
support speed this up? I have two e5-2676 v3 processors in this server. I
am using SHA512 right now, but I saw similar speeds from bacula when using
MD5.

Average write speed to LTO-8 media winds up being about 120-150MB/s once
the times to spool and despool are considered.

My spool is on a 76GB ramdisk (spool size is 75G in bacula dir conf), so I
don't think spool disk access speed is a factor.

I have not tested to see if bacula could back up faster if it wasn't
accessing a share via SMB. I don't think SMB should be an issue here but I
have to consider every possibility. The SMB share I'm backing up is mounted
on /mnt/NAS/sharename. Bacula is backing that mount folder up.

Currently, my only access to the NAS appliance is via SMB. The appliance
does support iscsi in read only mode but i'm not sure if there would be any
performance improvements.

I don't think the traffic could be going out through the wrong interface.
The NAS is directly attached to my bacula server using a short cat6 cable.
The NAS and my server each have 10gbe copper interfaces. The relevant
interfaces have ip addresses statically assigned. These addresses are
unique to the LAN configuration (local lan is 10.1.1.0/24, 10gbe interfaces
assigned to 192.168.6.25 and 192.168.6.100). My bacula server's only other
connection is to the gigabit LAN switch.

Is there any information that I could provide to help the list help me, or
does anyone have any thoughts for me?

Regards,
Robert Gerber
402-237-8692