On 11/7/23 17:09, Rob Gerber wrote:
Technically I do have a huge NAS that dwarfs the production NAS in size (TrueNAS box). It was intended to store one movie, but the movie IT people massively over-estimated the amount of space we needed, so it never got used. It has occurred to me to use this TrueNAS device as a disk based volume storage solution.

Can one make multiple copies of a reference volume? Ie, could we have disk based backups managed by bacula on this larger NAS, with copies made to tape for onsite AND offsite storage?

You can absolutely to disk-to-disk-to-tape. It's not conceptually difficult to set up. (I'm doing disk to disk to removable ZFS disk pool, but ... same principle.)

Maybe at that point we wouldn't need an onsite tape backup set. Disk based backup could speed up our initial backups substantially since both of these systems can operate at 10gbe speeds.

Yeah, I love my disk-to-disk setup.  Small restores are almost instant.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications