Hello,

I'm having some problems with backup file configuration.

I want the backup file area to consume 100GB and no more.

I decided on file sizes of 1GB

Pool {

Volume Retention = 365 days # one year
Maximum Volume Bytes = 1G # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
Maximum Volumes = 100 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool

Recycle = yes # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
AutoPrune = yes # Prune expired volumes

}

I enabled the following schedule:

#
# When to do the backups, full backup on first sunday of the month,
# differential (i.e. incremental since full) every other sunday,
# and incremental backups other days
Schedule {
Name = "WeeklyCycle"
Run = Full 1st sun at 23:05
Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 23:05
Run = Incremental mon-sat at 23:05
}

... and what I saw is 100 files written and filled, and then all backups
stopping in their tracks and no further backups produced.

Every new job errors out.

None of the older backup files were reused.

Backups only resumed when I manually deleted the oldest volumes from bconsole,
and stopped again when the maximum number of files had been reached

I want automatic space management so that when the maximum number of volumes
are created, the oldest ones are reused.

I don't know how to set the "Volume Retention" accurately (as my backup sizes
are not predictable, as I install new software or accumulate business data
their size will likely increase),
I want the backups to always fit within my prescribed amount of storage space
and recycle that space when needed, without manual intervention.

How can I achieve this ?

Thanks.