On 6/26/24 10:44 AM, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
I'm seeking some advice on configuring the backup of a remote client.

Up till now all clients were located on the same local lan that hosts the Director, File and Storage Daemons. The whole lan is behind a nat'd router. One of these clients has now moved to a remote site, also behind a nat'd router so my existing FD for this client doesn't work.

As I understand Bacula, the sequence of operations is:
DIR > FD : command to begin
FD > SD : send data from fd to sd
and there will be messages to the DIR also.

Hello Chris,

It is more like:

1: DIR --> SD
2: DIR --> FD   (unless FD is configured to connect to the DIR), then it is FD
--> DIR
3: FD  --> SD   (unless the Director's Client resource has "SDCallsClient = yes"),
then it is SD --> FD

For this to work for a remote client, all Daemons must be addressable by FQDNs and therefore the use of local addresses is not possible.

One thought that occurs to me is that router ports 9101-9103 can be opened to address the Daemons as <external_ip>:port. This won't work for the SD which a mounted cifs share due to the storage being a locked down NAS with no possibility of installing an SD.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

The "best" way to do this is configure your remote FD(s) to call into the Director. They can be configured to make the connection on a schedule, or to try to make the connection and stay connected - reconnecting at startup, and when disconnected.

You will need to configure the firewall on the SD side to allow and forward the
connection into the DIR and the SD.

There is a section int he manual about Clients behind NAT, and also Client
initiated backups. If you get stuck, just ask...

For fun, I recently just configured and tested this exact type of "FD calls
Director" configuration here.

I know, who does this for fun, right? lol 😆🤷🤦

Best regards,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski