Hello Guys,

On 8/14/24 20:35, Martin Simmons wrote:
I have archival backups going back 10 years without any problems.

If you want to be able to restore any single file from the backup, then you
need to explicitly configure File Retention and Job Retention in the Client
resource, because they default to 60 and 180 days respectively.  I've set them
both to 50 years.

You also need to set the Volume Retention in the pool (which defaults to 1
year).

After changing any of these, update the db and volumes using the bconsole
update command.

Thanks Martin, these points are essential. When a Volume has no Job Record
associated, it can be purged, and it's not what you are looking for.

In general, I recommend to manage retention only at one place. Bacula
is very flexible, and you have probably 10 different directives to control
the retention in many scenarios.

For example, set Client / File Retention and Job Retention to 50 years
and set the Volume Retention to what you want.

I would never prune Job Records if you can, File records are nice in
general, but you might end up with a very large catalog.

It is possible also to disable Autopruning in different places,
doing so, you control exactly when Bacula will prune records.

Keep us informed, Hope it helps!
Eric

__Martin