On 8/21/24 22:56, Hans-Martin Meier wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hello.

I don't use TrueNAS, but I use FreeBSD, so I'll answer what I can, but take this with a grain of salt.

I therefore installed bacula-fd on the first server in a jail via the
BSD package sources. I had to import all my ZFS datasets individually
into this jail

On FreeBSD I run bacula-fd on the host; if this is not possible on TrueNAS, I guess your approach is OK anyway.

However, it bothers me that this way I lose all the features that the
ZFS file system actually offers

What features are you referring to?

me and I can't even make ZFS snapshots accessible in a jail.

On FreeBSD I just had to add "zfs.mount_snapshot=1" in the jail conf.
Not sure if this is possible on TrueNAS, however.
This is the only critical point I see in your setup.

Would it be conceivable to switch
from TrueNAS Core (based on BSD) to TrueNAS Scale (based on Linux) to
get better support for Bacula?

The open source version of Bacula works very well on FreeBSD, so I'm not sure what improvement you could get by switching to Linux. I don't know the two products, so I can't tell if TrueNAS Scale might have better features than TrueNAS Core in general. If you want to buy the Enterprise version of Bacula, that might change a lot, of course.

Currently I have
installed the server components of Bacula in a Debian virtual machine on

I always run the "server" part of Bacula in a jail without any hassle; that might be more efficient than a VM.

the TrueNAS and deployed the file storage for the bacula-sd via NFS
export from the TrueNAS. This also works in principle, and I have also
imported the tape drive into the virtual machine. But the whole thing is
not very fast and it seems unnecessarily complicated to me as it is at
the moment.

I have a setup where I use NFS too, without troubles, but I would avoid it if it's possilble.

Hence the question of whether it makes sense to use a TrueNAS Core as a
system for a Bacula server or whether it would make more sense to
replace the TrueNAS at this point? A Debian installed directly would
have direct access to the hardware and especially the storage. What do
you think?

I'll avoid answering this :)
It would be a far shot without knowing TrueNAS, what other services it runs, your expertise with both products, etc...

HTH.

 bye
        av.