On 8/23/24 11:33 AM, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
Hi all,

Bacula 9.6.7 on Debian 11.

I'm backing up a 777 GB folder of an external xxx server. The backup job
has been running for a number of hours.

To my surprise, Bacula backup server has just COMPLETELY run out of disk
space with 1.2 TB out of 1.7 TB being used for Bacula .spool temporary
files.

I've never seen this happening before, i.e. so much space being used.

Relevant jobs look as below:

    4139  Back Full      3,458    726.9 G xxx_backup       SD despooling Data
    4140  Back Full          8    586.2 G xxx_backup       is running

Tape space (LTO-8) looks like below:

Before: Device: Remaining Native Capacity in Partition (MiB) (10,620,751)
Now: Device: Remaining Native Capacity in Partition (MiB) (10,176,636)

Is this backup going to fail or succeed? Since it's Fri evening here I
would kind of prefer to know now...

Regards,
Adam

Hello Adam,

Bacula will begin de-spooling a data spool file when one of the following
conditions are met:

- The spool file reaches the SpoolSize set in a Job
- The spool file reaches the MaximumSpoolSize set in a device
- The spool size reaches the MaximumJobSpoolSize set in a device
- The SpoolDirectory fills to 100% capacity (a condition that should be
avoided, but Bacula gracefully handles this)

So, if this spool directory reaches 100% (obviously something to try to avoid), jobs will stop spooling, and start despooling to the tape drive(s) - one at a time per tape drive of course.

You will have failed jobs if the attribute spool (always in SD's "WorkingDirectory") fills, but Bacula should recover gracefully if the data spool directory fills.

However, you are using a very old version of Bacula, and this "feature" may not be in version 9.6.7 - I honestly do not know when this was added/fixed.

What is in the spool directory? Maybe there are some leftover *data*.spool files leftover from failed jobs just eating up space?

Attribute and Data Spool files are named very clearly, so you will know which
ones to keep and which ones may to be deleted.

Hope this helps,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski