The Matrix, American Beauty, and Fight Club as Retellings of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

A Sneak Preview from "You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection" [...] Instead of a generic spiritual search that the protagonists were put into, three films stood out as particularly revealing in their willingness to address the specific historical moment of our spiritual crisis as it intersected with the family, with mass media, and with gender roles. In order of their appearance, The Matrix, American Beauty, and Fight Club (released between April and October 1999) all dealt in some way with the following three themes: overmediation, fatherlessness, and homosexuality. These three movies both articulate these themes and present them as intricately but often subtextually interconnected. Ironically, these three films also have something profoundly familiar in them when compared to Roger Water's 1979 classic, Pink Floyd's The Wall, made into a film by Alan Parker in 1982. If cultural texts come and go like fashion, it was almost as if the three authors of the 1999 films produced their most creative work by unintentionally recreating their favorite movie from adolescence. [...]

<http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/a-copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy/>Link

--
Posted By johannes to <http://www.monochrom.at/english/2008/08/copy-of-copy-of-copy-matrix-american.htm>monochrom at 8/23/2008 12:40:00 PM

Antwort per Email an