By Dick Meister.
It's clear that Barack Obama is well on the way to becoming the most pro-labor president since Franklin D. Roosevelt - clear that he's firmly committed to strengthening the vital union rights that FDR secured for U.S. workers seven decades ago. Consider Obama's address to the AFL-CIO's national convention in Pittsburgh on Sept. 15. Yes, the president was speaking to a friendly audience, saying what the convention delegates wanted him to say and promising them what they wanted him to promise. But his were not empty words. There's no doubt Obama meant it when he declared that "when organized labor succeeds, that's when our middle class succeeds. And when our middle class succeeds, that's when the United States of America succeeds... We'll grow our middle class by building a strong labor movement." You need look no further for proof of Obama's firm commitment to labor than his appointing, as secretary of labor, former Congresswoman Hilda Solis, an exceptionally strong advocate of working people and their unions.

<http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/22643>Link

--
Posted By johannes to <http://www.monochrom.at/english/2009/09/obama-labor-and-fdr.htm>monochrom at 9/21/2009 10:38:00 AM

Antwort per Email an