What are the fundamental forces that drive human behavior? A group of evolutionary thinkers offer an answer by revising one of psychology's most familiar images. Abraham Maslow's <http://www.abraham-maslow.com/m_motivation/Hierarchy_of_Needs.asp>Pyramid of Needs is one of the iconic images of psychology. The simple diagram, first introduced in the 1940s, spells out the underlying motivations that drive our day-to-day behavior and points the way to a more meaningful life. It is elegant, approachable and uplifting.

But is it also out of date?

That's the argument of a team of evolutionary psychologists led by <http://kenrick.socialpsychology.org/>Douglas Kenrick of Arizona State University. In the latest issue of the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science, they propose a revised pyramid, one informed by recent research defining our deep biological <http://pps.sagepub.com/content/5/3/292.abstract>drives.

Their new formulation is intellectually stimulating, but emotionally deflating. "Self-actualization," the noble-sounding top layer of Maslow's hierarchy, in their model has not only been dethroned, it has been relegated to footnote status. It has been replaced at the top with a more mundane motivation Maslow didn't even mention: "Parenting."

<http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture/maslows-pyramid-gets-a-makeover-17782/>Link