Von: "das ende der nahrungskette" <j...@monochrom.at>
An: BAGASCH@LISTS.MONOCHROM.AT
Gesendet: Montag, 26. Juli 2010 18:22:06
Betreff: [monochrom] Verbing Nouns (Such as 'Verb')

What do these words and phrases have in common? Friend, Google, TiVo, log in,
contact, barbecue, unlike, concept, text, Photoshop, leverage, party, Xerox,
reference, architect, parent, improv, transition, diligence, host, chair, gift,
heart, impact?

They've all been declared--by someone, somewhere, whether a usage expert or
just a self-appointed language cop--"not verbs." It doesn't matter whether
they're useful, interesting, or entertaining as verbs; to many people, if a
word began its life as a noun, then "verbing" it (like I did there) is just
wrong.

This visceral reaction is the motivating force behind the recently popular
loginisnotaverb.com , one man's impassioned plea against this kind of verbing.
The site's elaborate (and funny) arguments against login's verb status really
boil down to a simple denial. "I will repeat the important part for clarity:
'login' is not a verb. It's simply not," he writes.

The history of English, however, suggests that the language is remarkably
flexible in terms of what can be verbed. Almost any word can be drafted to
serve as a verb, even words we think of as eternal and unchanging, stuck in
their more traditional roles. It's easy to think of scenarios where "She me'd
him too much and they broke up" and "My boss tomorrowed the meeting again" make
sense.

Link

Antwort per Email an