100 years are enough...
...especially for the software industry, as a recurring user fee is much better
then one-time-money for a licence. One step towards this goal of renting all
the software instead of selling it is to revoke the user's right to resell
software, the so-called first-sale doctrine, which in its current form dates
back to 1909. If the US court really defines a clear distinction between a
buyer and a licensee, the former being really an owner and the latter only
something like a powerless user under permanent control of the manufactor, then
this clearly marks a next step towards porting the methods of RIAA back to the
software industry. Reselling software will become a crime. And please don't
tell me that I only have to change the brand and boycott the vendor - they are
_all_ on board of this scary dreadnought.

   fra

links:
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2010/09/10/09-35969.pdf
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/