"If Muhammad had wanted to restrict the original meaning to either the
Ka'bah or the Qiblih, why didn't He say so?"

Dear Don,

Might one rather ask if He meant any house of worship, why would He have put
it in the singular rather than the plural?

"I.e. had the Ka'bah been cleansed and where was the Qiblih?"

I'm not sure it had to be. It was still considered a sacred site. As for the
qiblih, I'm not sure they had Salat during the Meccan period.

warmest, Susan