Dear Susan,

> If you run down the list of those Shoghi Effendi consulted with prior
> to making his decision (the list can be found in Priceless Pearl) one
realizes
> just how poor the quality of Baha'is we had at this time!

I disagree.

1.  There was a large number of very deepened believers in the East,
people that had come into the Faith from the rank of trained theologians
and great depth of knowledge.

2.  Many of these had become believers during the ministry of Baha'u'llah
or Abdu'l-Baha, and as such were very much experienced and well-versed in
the Baha'i Writings.

3.  "Quality" is a relative term.  For their age, their were perfectly
suitable.  For a later age, anyone can be considered "poor quality".  A
couple of generations from now, people will look back to us and could say
"What a bunch of poor quality Baha'is in 2004!".

I don't know what the reasons were for Shoghi Effendi to have delayed the
election of the House of Justice.  I've heard one reason was that he
worried if the House was elected in 1920's, then most of membership would
come from the eastern believers.  But if that was a reason, it sure didn't
seem to have bothered Abdu'l-Baha Who was more than willing to have the
House elected, if needed be, in 1904-8 or thereabouts, which had much
fewer western believers.

I suspect this will be something that we'll continue to speculate about
for some time and we'll never know for sure.

Regards,
ahang.

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that
may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or
distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please
notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not
constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract
offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact
information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Francais  Deutsch  Italiano  Espanol  Portugues  Japanese  Chinese  Korean

www.invista.com/email_disclaimer.shtml