Dear Friends,

I have a question regarding cohabitation, and I'm sure it's been
discussed SOMEWHERE before.  I have a cousin who is at a university, in
a co-ed dorm situation (men and women on the same floor); she and her
current roommate would like to move out of their dorm and into an
apartment with a male friend (who happens to be homosexual - this may
or may not be relevant).  Her parents have been bent out of shape, not
because this male is homosexual, but because she is considering
'cohabitating,' and believe that she would be violating Baha'i law if
she moved into this living situation.

I suggested she look into the details of the law, and try to see if
there has been anything in the Writings as of late that would speak to
this type of scenario.  The reason I suggested this is because the only
quotes I could find relating to cohabitation were:

     "When considering cases of couples who are living together without
being married it is important to distinguish those who started this
association after becoming Baha'is from those who were in this
condition already at the time of accepting the Faith. The House of
Justice is sure that your Assembly is aware that it is not permissible
for Baha'is to enter into such an immoral relationship and that any
believers who do so must be counselled by the Assembly and warned to
correct their conduct, either by separating or by having a Baha'i
marriage ceremony in accordance with the provision of Baha'i Law. If,
after repeated warnings, the believers concerned do not conform to
Baha'i Law, the Assembly has no choice but to deprive them of their
voting rights." LETTER WRITTEN ON BEHALF OF THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF
JUSTICE, DATED SEPTEMBER 7, 1981, IN LIGHTS OF GUIDANCE, P. 379

     "The Guardian has instructed me to say that companionate marriage,
where there is no legal or religious marriage,  is an immoral
relationship and we cannot accept as believers those who are openly
behaving in this way." LETTER FROM THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF JUSTICE,
DATED SEPTEMBER 26, 1957, TO A NATIONAL SPIRITUAL ASSEMBLY

Now, reading these, it doesn't appear to me that she's even violating
Baha'i law, because it seems to be speaking to "couples," or, people in
existing relationships and people who are living together as if they
were married but haven't actually gone through any ceremonies.  Has
there been any further elucidation on this matter?  It seems to me that
in her case, even if the male were a potential mate (which he isn't),
she wouldn't be violating Baha'i law unless they became a 'couple'
(that is, started 'dating' or whatever term you use).  If that became
the case, I would think she definitely WOULD be violating Baha'i law.

What do you all think?  Am I understanding this correctly?  What's the
latest guidance, if any?

Thanks a bunch,

Ben