> Dear Max,
>
> Unfortunately there is some truth to that cartoon. Maybe not in Canada, but
> there are places in Australasia where the believers have been discouraged
> from having deepening classes outside the institute process, less they
> detract from it.
>
> warmest, Susan

As a Canadian, I cannot say that I have ever experienced the situation
depicted in the cartoon.  The ABM's that I have met have been quite vocal in
their encouragement to study other materials, in addition to enjoining the
friends to participate in the Ruhi Institute Process.  In fact, they have
enthusiastically shared texts when I have expressed interest in specific
topics and was not quite sure where to start my study.  I have heard both
our ABM and the Regional Institute Co-ordinator for Ontario state
categorically that deepening is not to be curtailed but should continue
alongside our institute process.