Hi, Dick,

At 09:14 AM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
>>On the one hand you say:
>>I would be interested in the demographics of long-term Ruhi participation and
>>how it correlates with the general Baha'i populations in different areas. My
>>"guess* would is that we would see a negative correlation between
>>participation and SES (socioeconomic status).<<
>>And then you say:
>>Prejudice refers to prejudging based on stereotypes. In my case, I
>>intentionally kept an open mind before going to my first Ruhi meeting.<<
>>Seems a tad hypocritical to me but that is just my take on this whole
>>exchange.<<

I don't believe so. If so, social scientists exercise hypocrisy whenever they
formulate hypotheses. On the one hand, you attempt to "bracket' any personally
held stereotypes (emotional generalizations). On the other, you make a
prediction (hypothesis) about about possible relationships between variables.
The two are not inconsistent.

>>Anyway, I am a bit surprised at the consistent negativity towards Ruhi even
>>though the House has over and over made it plain it has no intentions of
>>forcing exclusivity to any form of deepening/teaching/studying.  If you don't
>>want to participate, fine.<<

What if an NSA makes homefront pioneering goals contingent on conducting Ruhi
classes? That sounds pretty exclusive to me.

>>Who is forcing this on you?  if there are people who are really taken with it
>>and even NSA's who want to focus on it - is that affecting your own spiritual
>>journey?  Are they forcing you to participate?<<

There are different types of pressure.

>>Isn't the Faith big enough to overcome such mistakes?  I sure hope so.   If
>>the Faith is what it means to be it better.<<

I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise.

>>Someone mentioned their objection to Ruhi being that it doesn't address the
>>needs of the educated, well off westerners.  OK, great.  So develop something
>>you think will.  Surely you don't think the House of Justice would object to
>>that do you?  If they do, then I for one know this isn't the Baha'i Faith it
>>used to be.  But I'd have a hard time believing they'd get in the way.<<

Eventually, I will get around to doing so. I had promised to start a list on
this subject, but other things have taken my time. However, at least in the
short term, Ruhi will be the only game in town (at least in the U.S.).

>>I mean, why is it so important to put down the efforts of obviously sincere
>>and motivated individuals in a process that is at the worst a way of learning
>>that doesn't fit your own particular style of learning and at the best, has
>>been a positive influence in some communities around the world?<<

I can't speak to the rest of the world, but I do not see much in the way of
positive influence, at least as I would define it, in the U.S.

Mark A. Foster * http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger"
-- Abbie Hoffman